Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Wasn't It Just May 27th?

It's not hard for me to remember how anxious Becca was to go into labor and have the baby already. The weekend prior to Viv's arrival, she did her best to keep herself preoccupied but there are only so many things a pregnant woman CAN do without putting herself into an exhausted state. I kept myself busy, especially on the golf course.

It's also not hard for me to remember Viv's birthday and the labor that preceded her arrival.  I took notes. 10.5 hours of labor. 17 minutes of pushing. Hello Viv!

But if you ask me if I can remember how deathly exhausted I felt in the weeks and month following Viv's birth, I don't think I can really tell you with any accuracy right now. The sleepless nights for the first couple weeks are mostly a blur. How many diapers did I change? I lost count, but part of that is because I quit counting.

What I do remember and can tell you is that it's all worth it. So many moments are lost just staring at the new life you've brought into this crazy effing world. You don't focus on how tired you are. You learn to cope and manage through the exhaustion. You hope people that see you in public or at work don't think you have suitcases hanging from your eyes. You don't focus on how loud, hard, or often she's cries. You learn to embrace the sound because it's your baby's cries, not someone else in seat 22C. You just know what you're there to help her stop crying. #DontShakeYourBaby

Now that we're in the fourth month of parenthood, we have a happy, lively and active baby that only wakes once (sometimes twice) at night.. It's as if switching from one extreme (full night of sleep) to the other (erratic, limited sleep) conditions your mind and body to fully function on something in between. I never thought it would happen, but I actually feel like I can be a productive human who makes it to the gym 50% of the time on reduced shut-eye. It's quite incredible, really.

What's more incredible is how fast these last four months have flown by. I've taken over 2,000 photos and a dozen videos (wish I would have taken more) and somehow it all feels like it's happened in just a flicker of the camera shutter...

No comments:

Post a Comment