Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Dairy Allergy

I am posting this because I think it is important for new moms to be aware of. Dairy allergies in newborns can present themselves in different ways. For some it is crying, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody stools. Viv had a bloody mucus in her diaper and since I was going to the pediatrician that day, I asked about it. They told me to avoid products with cow's milk for three weeks and watch her stool. It took about 17 days of me not eating dairy for the bloody stool to disappear. After all I had been through with breastfeeding, I was not going to let this stop me! I was officially going dairy free. No more cheese pizza (or cheese for that matter), no more milk, cream, butter, ranch dressing. :( Luckily there are lots of dairy free options out there. Almond milk, coconut milk coffee creamer, soy lattes, oil based butter. The only thing I would not recommend is vegan cheese...it's disgusting!!!  The best part of this new diet is the five pounds I have lost! I had already lost all the baby weight and was back to my pre-pregnancy weight and now none of my pants fit!? I really missed chocolate so I tested the allergy (sorry Viv) and had a few half a bag of candy corn M&M's and the diarrhea came back with the next diaper. Looks like I will be on this diet until Viv is weaned.

No comments:

Post a Comment