Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Countdown to Christmas

I have decided to share a list of our holiday traditions:

1. Elf on the Shelf (new this year) Jake the Neverland Elf joined our family yesterday. Named after a show she watched for the first time yesterday. I'm sure at some point I said I would never get an elf because they are so creepy-never say never. I thought Vivienne could use some behavior encouragement this year so I snagged an elf off Buy Sell Trade. My intention is to use Jake to inspire Christmas spirit and good behavior. She is probably too young to fully understand, but it should be fun and maybe a practice year for mom and dad.

2. 24 days of Christmas books. As a former teacher I have over 25 Christmas books so last year I started the tradition of wrapping 24 of them so Viv can open one per day until Christmas. She loves the opening part and I like that she has to wait and learn patience and can't just open all of them on the first day. She already has her favorite books, so the reading part isn't going so well this year! I think it is something I will continue, if only to use up last year's wrapping paper. :)

3. Tree Lighting at the Mallway. One of the reasons we moved to UA was for a sense of community and the events here don't disappoint for young kids! Last year we walked a few blocks in the rain to the tree lighting at the mallway because I insisted this was going to be our new family tradition! Although we skipped Santa, the sleigh ride, and the actual lighting of the tree, Viv did get to meet Sven and some of his friends! This year I have high hopes for getting a peak at Santa and at least riding in the sleigh. 

4. Zoo lights. I'm pretty sure this is on everyone's list in Columbus! I'm not sure when, but eventually we will get to the zoo lights. We technically saw them a few weeks ago on Sunday morning, but Viv needs to experience them at night!

5. A Cushing Christmas Party. A night out for mom and dad! My cousin Liz is hosting her second annual holiday party and it is getting a fancy cocktail twist this year!

6. Lebanon Carriage Parade.  The Carriage parade and dinner at my friends house has been a tradition for years ( way before kids) and was so much more fun the last two years with Vivienne! We are not able to go this year since it is in Cincinnati and we have two events in town on the same day. We will go next year no matter what and may have to make it an every other year tradition from now on. 

I'm sure there are little things I have forgotten and I know we will continue to add to this list every year. For now I need to wrap gifts, continue shopping, and pack for Florida! 
Christmas card outtake. I need to get these in the mail! 

No comments:

Post a Comment